ISP Executive Director: COVID-19
I want you to know that we are thinking of you in these difficult times – as you balance childcare needs, work remotely and transition to online teaching and learning – all while managing the anxieties related to COVID-19.
The Institute for School Partnership remains open. While our office on the Danforth Campus and the mySci Resource Center are closed for now, our staff is working remotely as we do our part to help flatten the curve. While this pandemic has certainly impacted business as usual (professional development, workshops, events) we are here for you and ready to support your educational needs as we navigate this unfamiliar path together.
We are working to develop additional resources to help educators transition to online teaching and learning, and we will keep you updated as we move forward.
On behalf of us at the Institute for School Partnership, we wish you safety and good health.
Vicki May, Executive Director, Institute for School Partnership, Washington University
Below are resources vetted by our ISP staff that you might find of interest. We will continue to share high-quality instructional resources as we move forward.
Virtual activities for kids to do independently:
- Dreambox (online K-8 math program/free 90 day trial)
- Newsela (relevant, subject-specific articles tailored to be grade-appropriate and can be viewed in Spanish)
- PhET simulations (K-12 STEM simulations that make math and science ideas tangible and testable)
- PBS/PBS Kids (games, videos, virtual field trips, science investigations)
- Code Break (Code.org’s Weekly Challenge or activity. Weekly webcasts Wednesday’s at 12:00 CT)
Hands-on activities for adults to do with kids:
- Everyday mySci: https://schoolpartnership.wustl.edu/everyday-mysci
- K-12 NGSS Phenomena Activities: https://www.ngssphenomena.com/virtual-science-education
- Ditch the screens and DO the science! An introduction to DOING science at home: https://youtu.be/mNP9hs2a1FY
- Encourage problem-solving with 3 Act Math Tasks: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1jXSt_CoDzyDFeJimZxnhgwOVsWkTQEsfqouLWNNC6Z4/pub?output=html